The Message Recall feature in Outlook fails
A user has sent a message recall request through Outlook, and the message recall fails.
Message Recall is purely a function of Outlook with no outward effect from Exchange other than routing the recall request. Functionality is different between the various version of the Outlook client.
Message Recall will not be successful if:
- The recipient is not using Outlook.
- The recipient is not logged on to the mail service provider.
- The message has been moved from the Inbox.
- The message has been read. This includes viewing the message with the Preview Pane so that the message is flagged as Read.
There are a number of circumstances in which message recall doesn't work. Since it is an Outlook feature here are some reasons why it might not work:
- You can only attempt to recall a message you sent if you're using Outlook.
- Recipients who aren't using Outlook (e.g. POP3, IMAP4, and OWA users) will get the recall request messages, but they have no way to do a recall.
- If an Outlook recipient opens the message before opening the recall request, the recall will fail.
- Outlook users who have the preview pane turned on may still be able to read the recalled message, even if they haven't opened it.
- Most users will see the recall request and immediately rush to read the message.
Recall can only work for:
- The recipient uses Outlook, and Outlook is running.
- The recipient's mailbox must be open for the recall to succeed.
- The message must still be unread and in the recipient's Inbox.
Office 365 (Outlook 2016 for Mac) - Configure Outlook 2021 for Mac
Revised by Israel Cenir Nature of Update Confirmed this is still active process Date of Revision 28/10/2022 Configure Outlook 2016 for Mac Warning: Before proceeding, make sure you have updated Outlook to the latest version (patch) currently ...
Send automatic out of office replies from Outlook
Revised by Israel Cenir Nature of Update Added more content, up to date Date of Revision 28/10/2022 I have an Office 365 for business or an Exchange server account The Automatic Replies feature is only available if you have an Office 365 for business ...
The Auto-Complete list doesn’t remember names or email addresses
The Auto-Complete list doesn’t remember names or email addresses The Auto-Complete List is a feature which displays suggestions for names and email addresses as you start to type them. These suggestions are possible matches from a list of names and ...
Create, change, or customize a view - Outlook
Revised by Israel Cenir Nature of Update Added more content, still updated Date of Revision 28/10/2022 *Each Outlook folder, such as Inbox and Calendar, displays its items in a layout called a view. And each folder has several predefined views that ...
Fix Outlook and Office 365 issues with Support and Recovery Assistant for Office 365
The Support and Recovery Assistant app can help you identify and fix several issues for the following apps and services. Office setup Outlook Outlook for Mac 2016 or Outlook for Mac 2011 Mobile devices Outlook on the web for business Microsoft ...