How SMX Archiving works
In the customers words
All emails that have been filtered and classified as clean are stored in your archive and the meta-data for
each email is recorded and stored in our distributed database, along with the actual email message
(blob). To be able to access archived messages, a user needs to be granted the archiving role.
The user who is logged into the portal will need to have the archiving role to be able perform archiving
1. To add the archiving product click on Customer → Products→ Add Product. Products→ Products→ Add Product. Add Product.
2. Choose Archiving as shown:
3. Fill out remaining fields according to the provisioning form and click on Add Product button.
4. Once that's done, refresh the portal page and the Archiving product will appear as shown
It is very important to make sure the archiving service is configured correctly to ensure all emails are
1. Click on the Archiving product and then on Configuration tab. This will list out all domains and
trusted IPs for this customer.
a) Select Archive All (includes future records) option to apply this feature on all domains
and trusted IPs on account. The below image is an example:
b) Select the domains that need to be archived
2. Once done, click Save button on right side corner.
The archiving interface allows you to search for archived emails by matching the meta-data associated
with your archive and also allows you to download matched emails to your local machine.
1. Click on the “Archiving” Icon to search archived emails and to configure the archiving product.
2. Once you have clicked on archiving you will see a screen like this below:
3. You can type in the search string to search for messages and this will display all the results
related to your search string.
4. Once you have entered your search query press Enter or click the Search button. This will submit
your query to the search engine and all emails that match your query are displayed in the results
Points to remember
• You can also specify the time-zone and date range to apply to your query on the right-hand
For example, putting the word "bob*" in the search box will match emails sent to or from email addresses starting with bob (i.e. email@example.com as well as firstname.lastname@example.org), as well as any recipients, subject, Message-ID, and/or SID starting with "bob".
The following table describes the meta-data that is indexed and searchable for all emails:
You can confine your query to specific meta-data terms, and by combining terms you can refine your
search even further.
To search across specific meta-data fields:
1. Enter the search term followed by a colon then your search string (with no spaces between the
meta-data term, the colon and your search string).
subject: meeting* sender:bob*
1. Tick on the box of a message then click on the View button
2. This will show the below screen. The user can then select if they are authorised to only preview
the current message or all messages:
3. After the user has chosen one of the above options, the message will then be previewed in the
bottom half of the screen:
Points to remember
The user can choose to download the messages they selected on the left-hand side check boxes.
This .zip file contains archived messages for Company Name as requested by John Smith
(email@example.com) on 3/01/2019 11:49:56 AM.